Kharphocho Fort (also known as Skardu Fort) is located in Skardu Valley of Gilgit-Baltistan. It is constructed on the eastern side of the Khardong Hill, about 12 meters above Skardu city. As Khardong Hill is centered in the middle of Skardu city, the view from Kharphocho fort captures the entire valley, the Indus River and the mountains around the city.
Kharpocho fort which means king of forts in Balti is the mesmerizing site for a tourist. Fort stands at a height of 40 m above the city. Monarchs of Baltistan built this seven storey fort. An instinctive wad of stone and rock along with the rough edges make it look like being forged out of the mountain itself. This fort dates back to 8th century.
The Shigar Fort is located in Shigar Valley of Skardu District, Gilgit-Baltistan. As it is constructed on top of a huge boulder and partially surrounds a large cone-shaped rock, Shigar Fort is also known as Fong-Khar in the Balti language, meaning Palace on the Rock.
Khaplu Palace (meaning “The fort on the roof“), is an old fort and palace located in Khaplu, in the Baltistan region of Gilgit-Baltistan Province in Northern Pakistan. The palace, considered an architectural heritage and a tourist attraction, was built in the mid-19th century, replacing an earlier fort located nearby. It served as a royal residence for the Raja of Khaplu.
From 2005 to 2011 the palace, having earlier stood in vulnerable conditions, underwent a restoration project carried out by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture under the Aga Khan Historic Cities Programme. The palace now houses a hotel operated by Serena and a museum depicting the history and culture of Baltistan.
Baltit Fort is an ancient fort in the Hunza valley in Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan. Founded in the 1st century, it has been on the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative list since 2004.
In the past, the survival of the feudal regime of Hunza was ensured by the impressive fort, which overlooks Karimabad. The foundations of the fort dated back to 700 years ago, with rebuilds and alterations over the centuries. In the 16th century the local prince married a princess from Baltistan who brought master Balti craftsmen to renovate the building as part of her dowry.
The Mirs of Hunza abandoned the fort in 1945, and moved to a new palace down the hill. The fort started to decay which caused concern that it might possibly fall into ruin. Following a survey by the Royal Geographical Society of London a restoration programme was initiated and supported by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture Historic Cities Support Programme. The programme was completed in 1996 and the fort is now a museum run by the Baltit Heritage Trust.
Altit Fort is an ancient fort at Altit town in the Hunza valley in Gilgit Baltistan, Pakistan. It was originally home to the hereditary rulers of the Hunza state who carried the title Mir, although they moved to the somewhat younger Baltit fort nearby three centuries later. Altit Fort and in particular the Shikari tower is around 1100 years old, which makes it the oldest monument in the Gilgit–Baltistan.
Kalam Darchi Fort (KD Fort)
Kalam Darchi Fort (KD Fort). KD fort reminds the colonial architecture of the region. This fort was named after a naked saint and was built by British soldier during 1932-33 to check the invasion and inflow of people from China and USSR through Wahkan corridor. It remained the abode of Gilgit Scouts.
The historical buildings and mousques of Ganish Hunza
GANISH, a beautiful village in Hunza valley in Gilgit-Baltistan, is famous for its rich history, splendid wooden mosques, impressive village guest house, imposing towers that mark the landscape. It is situated on the right bank of Hunza River and is one of the oldest settlements of the valley.